Get me outta here!

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Cheer Up Aunt Lisjeni! - SG Family Reunion

In our life, good things and bad things happen, and sometimes the good thing and the bad thing happen in the same time, made us confused how to react and express our feeling. Are we supposed to be happy or sad? thankful or to regret?


That situation had just happened to me not too long ago. It was April 11th. I was laying on my bed scrolling my phone, checking social medias. It was tiring Monday as usual, getting home a bit late after getting some working hours extended. Then i heard my door knocked. It was my dad standing in front of my room, holding a cell phone in his right hand. With a sad expression on his face, he brought me a really bad news I never thought before, "Aunt Lisjeni is suffering from lung cancer". I didn't believe from what i heard. The one who dad told me is his sister in law, who currently domicile in Singapore. The next words dad saying was completely make me cry. "It is now stage 4". Crap! How is it possible? 

I knew that in previous time i met her, she had a serious cough that she had suffer for a long time. She already visit some doctors and had medication, but she wasn't getting better at all. She also tried herbal medication and therapy but nothing could do with the cough. She thought that it was not serious, so she just ignore it for some time because she had to give more attention to her daughter's, rachel (my cousin), school-works and examinations, since she will graduate from her primary school soon. 

The thing that made me more sad is, April 12th, one day after she had sentenced as a cancer sufferer, her daughter is having her 12th birthday. It was supposed to be a joyful day to celebrate birthday, but it must be feel different. We called her that night and chit chat about what's going on here and there, and finally cheer her up. She's sound really scared but she hopes that there is another way from God for her family. We couldn't speak much, since we're worry to hurt her feelings.

SO, that night my dad and his siblings were decided to visit her family in singapore. We're going to cheer her up by making a family reunion and celebrate Rachel's birthday (and have a holiday at once). 

I was getting busier since i had to find the cheapest flight, accommodation, attraction tickets and many more for 11 persons in last minutes. We decided to go on April 23rd - 25th. I got my manager's permission to have an annual leave for 1 day and thank God i could use staff rates to stay at sisters hotel (i currently internship in Fairmont Hotel Jakarta, and we could have a special rate to stay at Fairmont - Raffles - Swissotel worldwide). So i booked rooms at Swissotel the Stamford, Singapore, with a really nice price.

Saturday, April 23rd

We departed to Singapore in the morning. We transferred to the hotel directly, but because of high occupancy, we couldn't check in first at that time. My dad's brother, mpe Onchang (Aunt Lisjeni's husband) pick us up at the hotel and we had lunch in Citylink, which is connected directly with the hotel. After had lunch, we turn back to the hotel and get our rooms ready. We put our baggage in the room and we went to our first destination, Gardens By The Bay! It was raining in the morning, but when we heading out and walked around the gardens, it was nearly 40 celcius degrees. It's super hot!! The fortunate thing is, it was Tulip's festival at the time. It's very fascinating scenery.

Blooming Tulips

Captured by Mom

The family tourists

 We have walked around, i think almost 2.5 hours there, so we took a shuttle to the exit gate. Our next list is having dinner with Aunt Lisjeni's family in her house's area. We took MRT from Marina Bay to Beauty World which is more than 10 stations far. It was just the first day but i think i can't feel my leg anymore :'). We still had to walk around 15 minutes from the MRT station to her house. When i met Aunt Lisjeni, she really doesn't look like a sick person. Her face was just a bit pale. She was really happy to greet us. We had some rest for a while before going out for dinner.

Whole Family

Aunt Lisjeni, Mpe Onchang, and Rachel
And after a long dayyy, we still able to had a late night walks. Singapore in the night is spectacular! We walk around the super mainstream spot in SG, Merlion Park. But unfortunately, my camera was low bat :'( so we couldn't take a lot of good shots.

The Iconic Merlion Who Never Stop Vomiting 

Charlie's Angels lol

The Esplanade

Sunday, April 24th

 The next day we hopped to Sentosa Islands! After quite sometimes desiring to go to USS, finally i made it again. In 2015, i went to Singapore quite often, like twice or three times a month, but I never had a chance to enjoying some adventures in USS (because I was a tour leader, so i just accompanied my guests until the entrance gate. what a sad thing). It was the second time I went to USS. The first was in 2010, when some of the rides were not yet open or in a maintenance. Fortunately it was not as crowded as I expected, so we could try many highlights rides & attraction such as Transformers, The Mummy, Puss in Boots, Waterworld, Shrek, Steven Spielbergs, and the most challenging was.... Galactica, It's a roller coaster with super high speed. There was 2 times when I really want to scream out loud, but nothing coming out from my voice. I felt like I left my butt at the ride.

The most Mainstream Photo. Sibling and cousins

Before riding Galactica 

After riding galactica ...

The Mummy's Gate

Photo session with Water World Casts

Jumbo Pizza!

Who doesn't love minions?


 Now times to explore another one in Sentosa Island... Sky Luge! One time is never enough (the tag line)! The youngest in the family, Owen, insist us to play SkyLuge. It's in Imbiah Lookout. The first step is riding the luge from the hills down to the valley. It was really fun. The second step is getting back to the hills by sky train. I think my age is getting older. In 2010, I rode the skytrain alone and i wasn't feel scared at all. But this time I ride it together with 3 other persons in one seat, I feel shivered. It was really high! Or was it the side effect after riding Galactica? 

Before riding the luges

Sky Train
 The sun goes down, and we were heading to Aunt Lisjeni's house again, because she couldn't join us today due to her health condition. This time we used Grab Car to reach there. We had Hainanese Chicken Rice and dried longan tea for dinner.  We were really tired already, but it was our last night in SG so we wouldn't want to waste our time to take some rest at the hotel. We went back to the hotel to give Aunt Lisjeni's Family some gifts from Jakarta, and they dropped us at Clark Quay. We gave farewell goodbye to them. It was really hard to say goodbye. But I believe there is another next time that we could spent again together. 

Clark Quay at Night

Monday, April 25th

I was overslept! We reached our hotel at 12 am last night and I slept at around 2 am in the morning. Me, my bro, mom, and dad just woke up at 9.30 am. We tidy our baggage up and went for breakfast next to the hotel. After that, my dad and bro went back to hotel to check out. My mom and me went to Saint Andrew's Church to pray before we get home. We met with the others at the Hotel Lobby and the Van was already there to pick us up to the airport. We spent some times to explore Changi Airport before we leave to Jakarta.

St Andrew's Church

Actually... i am team cap haha

Indoor Garden at Changi Airport
Thank you for reading my blog! Hope you enjoy this one. Please like / comment if you don't mind :)

P.S.: Please pray for my Aunt! Hope she get well really soon!


Travel Tips (based on my experience, only my opinions)

  • If you want to visit Singapore Tourist Attractions, buy the tickets online in advance. You could get better deals / promo from the website (credit card promo, etc). Or the other way is buying in your local travel agents. I got the e-tickets for SGD 55 / adult and SGD 45 / child, while the normal prices are SGD 74 / adult and SGD 54 / child.
  • No Wifi? Don't worry. most of all spots in Singapore could access free wifi, but with limited speed. If you just visit SG for some days, buy a data plan. I bought a Singtel number for traveler for SGD 15 (it's including 5GB data, sms and calls package)
  • There is no free things beside tap water, so If you buy something (especially food), and the seller ask you if you want to add (sauce, tomato, salad, etc), you better think twice and ask for the price. Sometimes it is overprice that you could buy 1 other menu that more worth it.
  • There is NO TISSUE provided at most of the restaurants, so you better bring it by yourself.


0 comments:

Post a Comment