Get me outta here!

Friday, January 18, 2019

Jump Off 15,000 ft – Best Surreal Feeling Ever!

New Zealand, North Island Series  

Several years ago, when I was scrolling my Instagram post, a feed of my friend caught my eye and I was fascinated - a video of her jumping from the plane in Alpine, Switzerland. I knew that sky dive might be the most extreme and dangerous sport in the world, but since then it became my second top list to do before I die (first bucket list is going to the outer space - know it sounds silly but it really motivates me to keep working hard).


Short story, I had a job from my company to assisting my VIP clients to New Zealand last December. I didn’t know that I would be traveling to NZ that early and actually got a bit of free time before going home. I persuaded my colleague to accompany me and seek for possibilities if we can get a special price for sky diving (she has connection with NZ suppliers though and we actually got $90 off discount for marketing visit haha).

After some time contemplating in our tight schedule and client problems, on January 3rd we finally take a long self-drive from Auckland to Lake Taupo for 3 hours and decide to make it happens. We stay overnight nearby the Lake Tekapo Airport before we jump on the next morning. That night I was so nervous thinking if it was right to spend money just for a ‘suicide’ experience. If my parents know I was really sure they would be freak out.

The next day I woke up I no longer feel nervous and feel very excited. We drove to the Taupo Tandem Sky Diving which based in Lake Taupo Airport. There was around 12 people, including me, lining up and seating around the front desk. The friendly staff asking us to fill the online registration form and sign the health and safety agreement. Our weight also has to be measured for tandem master pairing and safety reason. One of the staff briefed us generally about tandem sky diving and how their company work, what’s the dos and don’ts (like you are STRICTLY PROHIBITED to touch the flying equipment), and what freefall packages they have for us to choose. They have 12,000 ft, 15,000 ft, and 18,500 ft with different camera package.

Since this is my bucket list and probably the first and last sky dive, so I picked Guru Package - 15,000 feet freefall with flying cameraman (unfortunately the 18,500 didn’t have tandem cameraman available on that day). Basically, I will fly with 1 tandem master and 1 cameraman fly with us and shoot the whole experience from take off until landing.


We entered the equipment room at the back side of the office. Our belongings have to be stored at the locker. The tandem masters are helping us to wear the flying suit and safety gears. They are very friendly and keep asking how was my feeling and told me that it would be really fun. It made me feel less nervous and look forward for the excitement. I was on the second batch, so I could see how the first batch do from the land. We were very lucky that the weather was very nice (NZ weather is so unpredictable!). The first batch was look amazing and successful that it keeps me stay calm.

My turn is come! Our batch was 6 tandem divers + 2 solo divers (cameraman) + 1 pilot. Andrew, my certified tandem master, did the buddy check and make sure my gears are complete and alright. We boarded to the plane that looks like a safari plane and took off! A mixed feeling started to bother me but thankfully controllable because of the amusing view from the top. Andrew informed me the flying procedure : my head has to be leaned on his shoulder before and while jump off the plane and I can relaxed after he tap my shoulder 2 times, and I have to bend my knees as high as I can before landing to prevent injury.


Soon before reaching 12,000 feet, the pilot alarmed us with a trumpet sound. It’s a sign that the first jump will begin for those who choose the lowest height package. 3 Korean couples of are jumping off one by one and I just said OMG for couple of times after hearing their screaming. The door was closed again and we fly to 15,000 feet. Andrew seat behind me and he attached our gears together. He asked if I’m ready. I DON’T but no way back!


After he gave me an oxygen, he dragged me near the exit door and ask me to pose in front of the exit camera. It was too sunny I can’t open my eyes widely (sipit eh) so I didn’t really care about the exit photos. You can see later at the video below that Andrew pull my head to his shoulder and few seconds after we actually FLY!! What I was thinking that moment is how to breath? Why the hell I forgot how to inhale and exhale? There is no way to scream because it was really fast (200 km / h speed) and actually not scary at all. Andrew tapped my shoulder and told me to pose in front of Jarren (our cameraman). I could finally breath and relax. I tried to pose as much as my hand can do but surely I couldn’t control my face as the wind slap me pretty hard x). Despite of my ugly bulldog face, I really enjoy every surreal moment in the sky. The lake and scenic mountains view are spectacular. After the parachute was set up, Andrew let me try how to maneuver. We had fun spinning around for several times. I found out that Andrew has flying experience for 3,500 times for the last 8 years. Wow.


Landing time was coming after only around 2 minutes flying (I need more T_T). Andrew took over the control and direct me to bend my knees as mention before. We landed safe and sound with a happy smiley face. He asked me to spinning around like a child for the last closing video hahaha. I did it!!! And will do it again next time for sure (Swiss or Dubai for next list and 20,000 feet?)!

Thank you Andrew, Jarren, and Taupo Tandem sky dive team to make it happen!! Here is my video. To answer your Qs, the package total price is normally NZ$565 for my chosen package. You can check their website https://taupo-tandem-skydiving.business.site/. They are number 1 list in trip advisor! Feel free to ask me more in comment below about sky dive in NZ and use my referral to get discount!

Cheers!


0 comments:

Post a Comment